The Palace and the Lake, Udaipur. From the west
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the 'Curzon Collection: Album of views of Udaipur and Chittaurgarh', of the palace and lake, Udaipur taken in c.1905 by an unknown photographer. Udaipur is situated on the Lake Pichola artificially created by the building of a dam wall between two hills. The town is dominated on the east by the large complex of the City Palace of the Maharanas, begun by Udai Singh (ruled 1567-72) and extended until the 18th Century. The buildings are made of granite and marble in a Rajput and Mughal style of architecture. This is a general view of the west side of the palace waterfront.