The Lake, the Gaughor Ghat, and a part of the city, Udaipur. From the west.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the 'Curzon Collection: Album of views of Udaipur and Chittaurgarh', showing a view from the west of the lakeside at Udaipur, taken by an unknown photographer in c. 1905. Udaipur was founded by Udai Singh (ruled 1567-72) in the mid-16th century as the fourth and last capital of the Mewar State, and is situated in a valley containing three lakes: Lake Pichola, the Fateh Sagar and the Umaid Sagar. The City Palace, begun by Udai Singh, is built on the east bank of Lake Pichola and overlooks the lake. This scene shows the Gaughor or Gangaur Ghat, a flight of steps leading down to the water situated to the north of the City Palace.