The Lake and a part of the city, Udaipur. From the north
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the 'Curzon Collection: Album of views of Udaipur and Chittaurgarh', of Lake Pichola and part of the Old City at Udaipur seen from the north, taken by an unknown photographer during the 1900s. Udaipur was founded by Udai Singh (ruled 1567-72) in the mid-16th century as the fourth and last capital of the Mewar State, and is situated in a valley surrounded by hills. Lake Pichola was artificially created in the 14th century by damning the valley, and the walled Old City was built on its eastern shore. The City Palace, the main royal residence begun by Udai Singh and continued into the 18th century, also lies on the east shore and its cupola-topped towers and fortress walls are visible in the distance at right.