Temples, Bhatgaon [Bhaktapur] 4305229
Photographer: Herzog and Higgins
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Bhaktapur in Nepal, from an album of 30 prints credited to Herzog and Higgins, taken in ca. 1901 and part of the Curzon Collection. View of monuments in Bhaktapur's Durbar Square with King Bhupatindra Malla's stone donor pillar in the foreground, the Taleju Bell in the middle, the Chyasilin Mandapa beyond the bell, and the Vatsala Devi Temple in the background at right. Most of Bhaktapur 's architecture was built by successive Malla rulers. From the 15th century to the late 18th century, Bhaktapur was one of three Malla city states in the Kathmandu Valley, the other two being Patan and Kathmandu. Bhupatindra
Malla (ruled 1696-1722) is facing the Panchapanna Jhyale Durbar or Palace of Fifty Five Windows, which he built in 1697 and which is the eastern wing of the royal palace of Bhaktapur. He is shown kneeling in the namaskara mudra pose, denoting prayer or adoration, protected by a metal parasol. He sits on a square throne supported by lions at each corner, which rests on a large lotus entwined by a snake. The Taleju Bell was erected to call devotees to prayer at the Taleju Temple by King Jayaranjit Malla in ca. 1737. Taleju is the tutelary goddess of the Mallas. The Vatsala Devi temple was built by Jitamitra Malla in 1696 and its structure with its tall tower is in the North Indian shikhara style, similar to the Krishna temple in Patan on which it may have been modelled. The Chyasilin Mandapa or Pavilion of Eight Corners was built in the late 17th century and served as a lodging-place and assembly hall. It was destroyed in the earthquake of 1934 and reconstructed by German architects in 1990.