The Church, &c, from near the Club Simla
Photographer: Bourne, Samuel
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Simla, Himachal Pradesh, from the Macnabb Collection, taken by Samuel Bourne in 1865. The hill-station of Simla was a popular resort with British residents of India from the 1820s. Simla became the summer capital of British India when the Governor-General began to take his council with him to the hills to escape the intense heat of Calcutta. It is now the capital of the state of Himachal Pradesh. Simla was known as the 'English Convalescent Station' as its climate was conducive to good health and the Military Sanatoria of Kasauli, Sanawar and Sabathu were nearby. This is a view of Simla in the snow looking along the hillside towards Christ Church, designed by Colonel J.T. Boileau and completed in 1857. A large terrace next to the church was a popular place for meetings before and after services and was also the best site in the area for parades due to its size. It had a fresco surrounding its chancel window, designed by Lockwood Kipling, Rudyard Kipling's father.