Torana or gateway of small tope at Sanchi
Photographer: Waterhouse, James
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the gateway of the small stupa at Sanchi, taken by James Waterhouse in 1861. Stupa 3 was originally built in the 2nd century BC and later enlarged between the 1st century BC – 1st century AD. It is smaller in dimension than Stupa 1 but of great importance as reliquary caskets were found inside the dome inscribed with the names of two of the Buddha's foremost disciples, Shariputra and Maudgalayayana. There is only one torana from the 1st Century AD. It consists of two square posts crowned by a group of yakshas and pot-bellied dwarves that support a triple architrave. The relief sculptures represent the stupa and tree worship, the paradise of Indra, the Wheel of Dharma and various floral motifs. This view shows the gateway, with the main pillars and one cross-member standing, the other pieces of the gateway lying on the ground.