Two-storey gateway or mandapa, Vijayanagara
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a two-storeyed gateway and chambers at Vijayanagara, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, c.1880. Vijayanagara, the City of Victory, was the most powerful Hindu kingdom in Southern India from 1336 until the defeat by the Muslim armies in 1565. It was built on the bank of the Tungabhadra River surrounded by granite hills. The ruins of this vast royal city incorporate distinct zones and are divided into two main groups, the sacred centre and the royal centre. This gateway is situated on the pathway that links Achyutarayapura, a temple complex in the sacred centre, with Vitthalapura, another temple complex north-east of the sacred centre. The lower storey has four by four plain columns and a north-south passageway. The upper storey is built on the same scheme.