Two-storey mandapa of the Kodandarama Temple, Vijayanagara [sic. Two-Storeyd East Gateway of the Narasimha Temple Complex, Vijayanagara]
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the two-storeyed east gateway of the Narasimha Temple Complex at Vijayanagara, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, c.1880. The 14th century Narasimha Temple complex is situated on a sloping rocky hill in the sacred centre of Vijayanagar and consists of a temple surrounded by an enclosure wall with gateways on the east and west. The east gateway is two-storeyed and is approached by a flight of steps. The lower level has four by four columns raised on a tripartite basement. The columns have plain shafts and the brackets carry extended beams. The upper level has twelve columns arranged on a cruciform plan. The outer columns have part octagonal shafts and disc-like capitals. The gateway is covered by a stone parapet.