The old temple from the north-west, Sandera
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the old temple at Sandera in Gujarat, from the north-west, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s. In the 'Archaeological Survey of Western India, vol. IX', 1903, Burgess and Cousens wrote, "At Sandera, a village about two and a half miles west from Rhuavi and between four and five south-west from Sunak, are two small disused but interesting old temples...The larger of the old temples is identical in plan and detail with that of Nilakantha mahadeva at Sunak, only smaller...It faces east and the basement is buried...Over the shrine doorway, Ganesa is carved on the usual projecting block, whilst above are Brahma, Vishnu and Siva...Outside, in the principal niche in the back or west side of the shrine, is a figure of Siva; on the north is Vishnu, and on the south Brahma. The other and smaller shrine is somewhat peculiar and rather more archaic in appearance. The squat tower reminds us of the temples in Orissa, which have bee ascribed to the sixth century."