The Great Arch or Kirttistambha, Vadnagar
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Great Arch or Kirttistambha at Vadnagar in Gujarat, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. Vadnagar, located in Gujarat, originally the home of the Nagar Brahmans, was occupied in 145 A.D by a prince of the Solar dynasty. As the city prospered, over 3000 temples were constructed and in 1152, the walls of Vadnagar were erected by Kumara Pala. The two Kirttistambhas, or gateways date from the 12th century. They stand outside the walls, to the north of the town, and were once connected with a large temple of which nothing now remains. Built of red and yellow sandstone, each gateway comprises two circular columns with carvings of figures in niches, rows of elephants and foliation. These two pillars support a deep architrave and pediment; between the columns, springing from the bracket capitals, is a cusped arch decorated with miniature figures.