The Jami Masjid, Shrirangapattana.
Photographer: Dixon, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Masjid E Ala at Srirangapatnam, the renowned island capital of the Rajas of Mysore, Haidar Ali (c. 1722-1782) and Tipu Sultan (1753-1799) from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: India Office Series (volume 21, 'a' numbers), taken by by Henry Dixon in the early 1860s. The mosque, built in 1787 by Tipu Sultan has two double storied octagonal minarets crowned by onion domes which can be seen for miles around as the surrounding countryside is so flat. The minarets contain narrow staircases and are decorated with numerous pigeon holes which accommodated the birds used to convey messages by members of the court. An open courtyard is situated to the front of the building while inside there is a spacious prayer hall with the mihrab on the west wall.