Photograph of the Lingaraja temple complex at Bhubaneshwar in Orissa from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: India Office Series (volume 21, 'a' numbers), taken by Henry Dixon in the early 1860's. The Lingaraja temple complex is the largest of the temples of Bhubaneswar and marks the culmination of the architectural activities at the site. It was built in the late 11th century in the characteristic Nagara or northern style of Orissa. It consists of a sanctuary, a closed square hall (jagamohana), a dancing hall (nata-mandir) and a hall of offerings (bhoga-mandir), the last two being a later addition. The sanctuary is towered by a curvilinear superstructure, called rekha deul, rising up about 37 metres, divided into vertical bands and capped by an amalaka and a pot finial. A figure of lion over a seated elephant projects from the middle of the tower. The outer walls are decorated with mouldings and sculpted niches with images of the various Hindu gods, graceful maidens and rearing beasts set in the numerous projections and recesses. The jagamohana has a pyramidal roof of many tiers capped by an amalaka and a pot finial and the walls are decorated by many sculpted niches with amorous couples.