Temple gopuras in the Fort, Vellore
Photographer: Dixon, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the gopura of the Jalakanteshvara Temple in the Fort of Vellore from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: India Office Series (volume 21, 'a' numbers), taken by Henry Dixon in the 1860s. The old 16th century Vijayanagara Fort at Vellore is surrounded by a moat and the ramparts have circular bastions and square towers. The crenellated parapets have wide merlons for musket fire. In 1676 the fort passed in the hands of the Marathas. In the 1740s it was renowned to be the strongest fortess in the Carnatic but the British occupied it after the fall of Seringapatam in 1799 and the death of Tipu Sultan. The Jalakanteshvara Temple, situated in the Fort, was also built during the Vijayanagara period in the 16th century. The temple is famous for the magnificent carvings of its pillars.