Photograph of the Wellesley Bridge in Seringapatam, Karnataka, from the 'Archaeological Survey of India Collections: India Office Series (volume 23: 'a' numbers)', taken by Henry Dixon in the 1860s. Seringapatam, a small town near Mysore, is an island fortress surrounded by the Kaveri Rver that was ruled by Tipu Sultan from 1782 to his death in 1799. He was nicknamed The Tiger of Mysore for his resistance to the British. This photograph is of the Wellesley Bridge, one of the oldest bridges in the area and the only direct link to Tipu Sultan's walled fort. It is named after Lord Wellesley, who crossed this bridge in a battle with the Sultan and his French allies. The Kaveri Rver arises in the Western Ghats and flows west to east through Karnataka and Tamil Nadu to the Bay of Bengal. It splits in two twice and forms the islands of Seringapatam and Sivasamudram in Karnataka. This is a general view looking along the bridge from the mainland, with the minarets of the Jami Masjid visible in the left background.