The large temple from the north, Satgaon, Buldana District, Berar 1000333369
Photographer: Gill, Robert
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the large temple at Satgaon from the north, taken by Robert Gill in 1871, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: India Office Series (volume 33). This view shows the principal temple at Satgaon built in the thirteenth-century Hemadpanti style of the Yadava period. The temple is dedicated to Vishnu and faces west. To the east are the sanctuary and the 'mandapa' or antechamber with porticos to the north, south and west. The temple and its porticos are open with a low screen wall ornamented by dwarf pilasters with figures. The outer walls are profusely decorated with sculptures.