Tomb of Muhammad Ghaus, Gwalior
Photographer: Herne, George Edward
Medium: Photographic print
This is a view of the tomb of the Muslim saint Muhammad Ghaus, who assisted Babur when he conquered the fort of Gwalior in 1526. The building is square in plan and topped by a squat dome decorated with blue ceramic tiles. It has hexagonal domed kiosks at its corners together with sloping eaves that project from exterior, features both taken from the Hindu architectural tradition. The tomb walls are made of pierced stone screens carved in geometric designs which allow light and air to filter into the interior chamber and create a cool, meditative atmosphere.