The Rev. Habb preaching to the Klings (South Indians) in Pinang.
Photographer: Feilberg, Kristen
Medium: Photographic print
View of Rev. Habb conducting an open-air sermon to a large group of Indian settlers in Pinang, Malaysia, taken by Kristen Feilberg. This Photograph is part of the Archaeological Survey of India Collection and was exhibited in the 1867 Paris Exhibition. Penang or Pulau Pinang, derives its name from the betel-nut palm. The island was once part of Kedah until Captain Francis Light negotiated with the Sultan of Kedah to cede it to the British East Indian Company in 1786. The natural harbour of Pinang was used by the British for their trading ships. Light named this new settlement Georgetown after King George III of Great Britian.