Taken by O.S. Baudesson in 1882 this photograph forms part of the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. Bloch's list suggests that this might be the back view of the Ahar-ki-Darwaza, but this is certainly not the case. Cole states that in addition to the Ahar-ki-Darwaza there was another gateway to the north of the Moklaji Temple, and this view possibly shows that structure. The oldest palace structures in the fort date to the rule of Rana Kumbha of Chitor (r. 1433-68) though greater age is claimed for some of the ruins and temples. Chitorgarh in the modern-day state of Rajasthan was an important Rajput fortress throughout the medieval period. It served as a political capital, despite being sacked by both Ala-u'd-din Khalji in 1303 and Bahadur Shah of Gujarat in 1535, until it was finally taken by the Mughal emperor Akbar in 1567. It was later returned to Rajput control but never regained such prominence again.