Unidentified palace buildings, Udaipur
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Shambhu Niwas Palace at Udaipur in Rajasthan, taken by O.S. Baudesson in 1882, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. Udaipur was chosen by Maharana Udai Singh (ruled 1567-72) of the Sisodia Rajputs as the new capital of the Mewar State. This followed the third and final sacking of the hilltop fortress of Chittorgarh, the previous Mewar capital, by the Mughal Emperor Akbar. There are a number of royal residences at Udaipur and the location of this image has been identified by Dr. T. Bloch as the 'Lake Palace,' one of the island pleasure palaces on Lake Pichola. However this appears to be incorrect. The Shambhu Niwas Palace is a wing of the City Palace, begun by Udai Singh and built mainly during the 17th and 18th centuries although construction continued into the 20th century. It is used as the private residence of the princely family today. This is a view of the palace with an interior courtyard bordered with topiary and garden furniture in the foreground. A shield emblazoned with a radiating sun-face emblem of the Sisodia Maharanas is mounted on the balcony balustrade of the palace at left.