View of subsidiary dam, Nicol Basin, looking eastwards [Victoria Dock construction, Bombay].
Photographer: Taurines, E.
Medium: Photographic print
A photograph by E Taurines of the Nicol subsidiary dam of the Victoria Dock in Bombay City taken between 1885 and 1888. The Prince's Dock was opened by the Governor of Bombay, Sir Richard Temple in April 1879 and opened to traffic on 1 January 1880. In 1884, a scheme for a dock extension put before the Government was approved. The extension, which later came to be called Victoria Dock, was a water space of 24.22 acres, containing three jetties, 400 ft long by 230 ft wide, a passage communicating with the Prince's Dock and a rear entrance. The Musjid and Nicol basins were absorbed into the new scheme. The subsidiary dams made at these basins were completed in 1886.