View of excavation from north-east corner, looking south-west [Victoria Dock construction, Bombay].
Photographer: Taurines, E.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph by E Taurines of the Victoria Dock construction work in Bombay City taken between 1885-88. The idea for the construction of a wet docks for the use of shipping in Bombay harbour was first suggested by M Malet when member of Council in 1855. In 1866 Russell Aitken, Executive Engineer to the Municipality, prepared the foundation of a Harbour and Dock Trust. The Port Trust was founded in June 1873 and plans for a wet dock was prepared by the Chief Engineer Thomas Ormaston. In 1875, the first stone was laid in the hope that the new dock would create a prosperous 'revolution' in the trade of Bombay. In April 1879, the new dock, called the Prince's Dock was opened by the Governor of Bombay, Sir Richard Temple, and was open to traffic from 1 January 1880. In 1884, a scheme for a dock extension put before the Government and was approved. This extension came to be called Victoria Dock.