View of south wall looking westward from S.-E. corner [Victoria Dock construction, Bombay].
Photographer: Taurines, E.
Medium: Photographic print
A photograph by E Taurines of the Victoria Dock construction work in Bombay City, taken between 1885 and 1888. In 1884, a scheme for an extension to the Prince's Dock put before the Government was approved. The extension, which later came to be called Victoria Dock, was a water space of 24.22 acres, containing three jetties, 400 ft long by 230 ft wide, a passage communicating with the Prince's Dock and a rear entrance. The dock and harbour walls and the 80 ft entrance were finished in December 1887, the total length of wharf and entrance walls measured 8,626 ft.