View of end of north jetty from the E. part of middle jetty visible [Victoria Dock construction, Bombay].
Photographer: Taurines, E.
Medium: Photographic print
A photograph by E Taurines of the Victoria Dock construction work in Bombay City taken between 1885-1888. In 1884, a scheme for a dock extension put before the Government was approved. The extension, which later came to be called Victoria Dock, was a water space of 24.22 acres, containing three jetties, 400 ft long by 230 ft wide, a passage communicating with the Prince's Dock and a rear entrance. The new docks at Bombay were foremost among several transforming improvements in the city following a period of economic prosperity. They were built to deal with the enormously expanded trade of the newly industrialised city.