View of north wall, middle jetty [Victoria Dock construction, Bombay].
Photographer: Taurines, E.
Medium: Photographic print
A photograph by E Taurines of the Victoria Dock construction work in Bombay City taken between 1885 and 1888. In 1884, a scheme for an extension to the Prince's Dock put before the Government was approved. The extension, which later came to be called Victoria Dock, was a water space of 24.22 acres, containing three jetties, 400 ft long by 230 ft wide, a passage communicating with the Prince's Dock and a rear entrance. The erection of the 80 ft gates was begun on 19 of December 1887, and these with the gate machines were completed by 20 of February. Both the swing bridges with the capstans, sluice machines and the first 20 cargo cranes were erected and ready for work by the end of that year.