View of excavation for 80 feet entrance from south bank looking N.E. [Victoria Dock construction, Bombay].
Photographer: Taurines, E.
Medium: Photographic print
A photograph by E Taurines of the Victoria Dock construction work in Bombay City taken between 1885-1888. In 1884, a scheme for a dock extension put before the Government was approved. The extension which later came to be called Victoria Dock was a water space of 24.22 acres, containing three jetties, 400 ft long by 230 ft wide, a passage communicating with the Prince's Dock and a rear entrance. The dock and harbour walls and the 80 ft entrance were finished in December 1887, the total length of wharf and entrance walls built measured 8,626 ft.