View from the Residency Bridge, Indore
Photographer: Dayal, Deen
Medium: Photographic print
This is a view from the Residency garden bridge at Indore, from the Lee-Warner Collection: 'Scenes and Sculptures of Central India, Photographed by Lala Deen Diyal, Indore.', taken by Deen Dayal around 1882. Indore is situated on the banks of the Khan and the Sarasvati rivers, 190 km from Bhopal. The town was established in the 1760s by Ahalya Bai and was the former capital of the Holkar dynasty. Today it is one of the largest commercial centres of Madhya Pradesh. The old area is on the western side and possess fine buildings such as the Juna Rajawada or Old Palace built by Maharaja Malhar Rao Holkar II (1811-34), the Chatris of the ruling family, on the riverside and the former British Residency set in a park along the Khan river. The Residency is a stone bungalow from the early 19th century.