View of south abutment brickwork in progress, [Nadrai Aqueduct, Lower Ganges Canal], December 1889[8?].
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph taken about 1890 comes from an album of 46 prints detailing the construction of the Nadrai Aqueduct. There were two Ganges canals in the North-Western Provinces: the Upper Ganges Canal, opened since 1854, and the Lower Ganges canal, which underwent construction in the late 1860s. The Lower Ganges Canal was "intended to completely provide for the irrigation of the southern portion of the country lying between the Ganges and the Jumna rivers, as the Ganges canal proper" had already provided for the northern portion.