View of top of spandril arches, [Nadrai Aqueduct, Lower Ganges Canal].
Medium: Photographic print
There were two Ganges canals in the North-Western Provinces: the Upper Ganges Canal, opened since 1854, and the Lower Ganges canal, which underwent construction in the late 1860s. The Lower Ganges Canal was "intended to completely provide for the irrigation of the southern portion of the country lying between the Ganges and the Jumna rivers, as the Ganges canal proper" had already provided for the northern portion.
The aqueduct, comprising of 15 arches each spanning 60 ft, measured 1310 ft in length, 88 ft in height and had foundations reaching to a depth of 52 ft below the river bed. It was built to replace one of much smaller size, which had been destroyed by flood in 1885.