View in subway, [Nadrai Aqueduct, Lower Ganges Canal].
Medium: Photographic print
There were two Ganges canals in the North-Western Provinces: the Upper Ganges Canal, opened since 1854, and the Lower Ganges canal, which underwent construction in the late 1860s. The Lower Ganges Canal was "intended to completely provide for the irrigation of the southern portion of the country lying between the Ganges and the Jumna rivers, as the Ganges canal proper" had already provided for the northern portion. The source of the supply was the same as with the head of the new canal established at Narora on the border of the Aligarh district.