View of the church, Murree, Punjab.
Photographer: Bourne, Samuel
Medium: Photographic print
Murree, at the edge of the Himalayas, was established as a hill station and sanatorium in 1851by the British so that the troops in Peshawar could escape the heat, disease and dangers of the frontier capital. Until 1876 Murree was the summer headquarters of the government of Punjab until it was transferred to Simla. The character of the town remains English, complete with the Mall for promenading, parks, churches, schools, clubs and cafes.