View on the lake at Naini Tal [?]
Photographer: Bourne, Samuel
Medium: Photographic print
View of a lake, probably Nainital from the 'Album of Indian Views', taken by Samuel Bourne in 1866. The area of the Kumaon Hills had come under British rule after the Anglo-Nepal War (1814-16) but it wasn't until 1841 that P. Barron built the first European house in Nainital. The town became the summer headquarters of the colonial administration of the province. It was a popular retreat for the residents of the plains. Being popular with the British, the town developed a British character with several European schools, barracks and a sanatorium.