View from the south-east of the Chota Sona Masjid or Small Golden Mosque, Gaur.
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
This is one of a series of photographs taken by Joseph Beglar for the Archaeological Survey of India. The Chota Sona Mosque, or Small Golden Mosque, was built c.1493-1519 during the reign of Sultan Ala-u'd-din Husain Shah by the nobleman Wali Muhammad, also known as Majlis al-Majlis Majlisi Mansur. It is sited seven kilometres to the south of the Kotwali Gate in the then capital of Gaur. The mosque is interesting in its combined use of domes and local 'char chala' vaults to roof the prayer sanctuary. The mosque has five bays and three aisles with five arched prayer niches inside the chamber indicating the direction of Mecca for prayer. The mosque is built of brick which is then faced with dressed black basalt stone.