View from the west of the Brahmeshvara Temple and surrounding temples, Bhubaneshwar
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of Brahmeshvara Temple, Bhubaneshwar from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by William Henry Cornish in 1892. The Brahmeshvara Temple complex (c.1060) stands within a walled enclosure with a principal temple and four smaller corner shrines. The sanctuary is roofed by a tall vertical tower while the mandapa has a solid pyramidal roof. The tower of the sanctuary has smaller tower-like structures on it. The outer doorway is decorated with guardian figures with foliation and scrollwork and a row of Navagrahas, the nine planets of Indian astronomy. The panels on the tower have sculptures of amorous couples and rearing beasts in the recesses between the wall projections.