View from the south-east of the Rajalinga Temple and other temples, Bhubaneshwar
Photographer: Mukherji, Poorno Chander
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Lingaraja Temple complex at Bhubaneshwar, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Poorno Chander Mukherji in c.1892. The Lingaraja temple complex is the most important of the temples of Bhubaneswar. It was built in the late 11th Century in the characteristic Nagara style of Orissa. The temple consists of a sanctum towered by a curvilinear superstructure, called rekha deul, divided into vertical bands and capped by an amalaka and a pot finial. The 55m tower dominates the landscape. The walls have niches with fine sculptures of Hindu divinities. In front of the sanctuary are the jagmohana (pillared porch), nata mandir (dancing hall) and bhoga-mandapa (hall of offerings), covered by pyramidal roofs. The latter two were added after the sanctuary and the porch. This view shows the Lingaraja amongst a cluster of other temple sanctuaries. The Lingaraja is largest temple complex in Bhubaneshwar with nearly 150 subsidiary shrines.