View from the south of the Mukteshvara Temple, Bhubaneshwar
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the southern portion of Jagamohan of the Mukteshvara Temple, Bhubaneshwar, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by William Henry Cornish in 1892. The Mukteshvara temple dates from the late 10th Century and marks the transition from the early phase of Orissa temples (7th-9th century) to the later phase (10th-13th century). It is one of the most famous examples of Nagara style in Orissa, noteable for its exquisite sculptures. The complex consists of a sanctuary orientated towards the west and set in a walled compound surrounded by smaller shrines and a tank. The entrance gateway is a richly carved semicircular arch resting on sturdy pillars. The square tower or rekha deul, is adorned with curved bands made of horizontal mouldings and arch-like motifs. It is topped by a large amalaka and pot finial.