View of the Dol-Mandapa, Puri from outside the exterior wall
Photographer: Mukherji, Poorno Chander
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Dol-Mandapa in the Jagannatha Temple Complex at Puri, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Poorno Chander Mukherji in the 1890s. Puri in Orissa, is one of the four traditional pilgrimage centres for Hindus, and the centre of the cult of Jagannatha, a form of Krishna. The main shrine, with a towered sanctuary and mandapa with a pyramidal roof, is attributed to Anantavarman Chodaganga of the Eastern Ganga dynasty (r.1077-1147). Other mandapas were added in the 13th and 15th Centuries. The rectangular complex has many other minor shrines and is within a high double-walled enclosure with four gates at the cardinal points. This massive free-standing stone torana or hindola (swing) has beams ending in carved figures of seated lions. Its precise location is unidentified. The wall in front of it is decorated with sculptural panels set in niches and a large carved elephant.