View from the north of the entrance of the Ananta Gumphi Cave, Khandgiri Hill
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the entrance of the Ananta Gumphi Cave, Khandgiri Hill, taken by William Henry Cornish around 1892, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandgiri (or Khandagiri) and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, is a series of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi kings in the 1st century BC. This view shows the verandah of the Ananta Gumpha with massive columns with square bases and octagonal shafts. The curved brackets are adorned with ganas and other figures.