View from the south of the entrance to the Chata Gumpha Cave, Udayagiri
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the entrance to the Chata Gumpha Cave, Udayagiri, taken by W.H.Cornish in c.1892, Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandagiri and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, there is a series of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally, cut out of the sandstone. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi kings in the 1st century BC. The caves are generally low and narrow with small entrances to a single cells or clusters of cells.