View from the east of right-hand portion of Jain caves, Khandgiri Hill
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Khandgiri and Tentuli Caves Jain Caves at Khandgiri, taken by William Henry Cornish in c.1892, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The twin hills of Khandgiri, (or Khandagiri) and Udayagiri, 6km west of Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, contain a series of Jain cave temples cut out of sandstone. Called 'gumpha' locally, most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi kings in the 1st century BC. 'The Khandagiri or 'Broken Hill' Cave... [is]... so called from the cracks in its two storeys... [and the]... Tentuli Cave [is] so called from a tamarind tree (tentul) growing in front of it ' (M.H.H. Kuraishi, List of ancient monuments...in the Province of Bihar and Orissa (Calcutta, 1931), p. 277).