View from the east of middle portion of Jain caves, Khandgiri Hill
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the middle portion of the Jain caves at Khandgiri Hill, taken by William Henry Cornish around 1892, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandgiri, (or Khandagiri) and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, there is a series of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally, cut out of sandstone. Most of these massive and austere caves were excavated in the period of the Chedi kings around 1st BC. They generally have one or more plain cells with a flat ceiling. Some are double storeyed and have pillared verandas. The facades of the larger caves are profusely decorated with sculptures.