View from the south of a Jain cave known as the Lalatendra Kesari Gumpha, Khandgiri Hill
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a Jain cave known as the Lalatendra Kesari Gumpha at Khandagiri Hill, taken by William Henry Cornish around 1892, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandgiri (or Khandagiri) and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, is a series of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi kings in the 1st century BC. In the 'List of Ancient Monuments protected under Act VII of 1904 in the province of Bihar and Orissa' of 1931, p.283, M.H.H.Kuraishi writes: 'The Lalatendu Kesari or Singh Raja Cave...was probably two storey in height. The upper storey of the cave apparently consisted of two chambers with a common verandah; but the front and partition walls of the rooms and the whole of the verandah with its roof and pillars have fallen away...The left and back walls of the upper storey are carved with eight nude figures of Jaina Tirthankaras standing in niches...'