View from the right looking along the upper verandah of the Rani Gumpha, showing arched doorways with carved frieze above, Udayagiri
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the verandah in the upper storey of the Rani Gumpha, Udayagiri, taken by W.H.Cornish in c.1892, Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Jain caves in the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, were excavated in the 1st century B.C during the Chedi dynasty of ancient Kalinga (now Orissa). The Rani Gumpha or the Queen's Cave is the largest of the series of caves. It has a double storey, with a spacious courtyard. This view shows the decorative frieze between the arches over the doorways of the cells in the upper storey. The arches are carved with honeysuckle, lotus and creepers and the pilasters that flank the doors have capitals with winged animals.