View from the north of the Akashaganga Tank, Khandgiri Hill
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Akashaganga Tank, Khandgiri Hill, taken by William Henry Cornish around 1892, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandgiri (or Khandagiri) and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, is a series of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi kings in the 1st century BC. Above the Simha Dvara cave is a deep rock-cut tank, called Akasa-ganga (literally Sky-Ganges). It has a flight of steps above that leads to the Jain temple, and two below that lead to the plain and to the tank itself. There are three other tanks nearby, one named Guptaganga, the secret Ganges, so called because it is inside a deep crevice in the hill.