View from the west of the Hawa Mahal in Jodh Bai's Palace, Fatehpur Sikri
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jodh Bai Palace at Fatehpur Sikri, taken by Edmund William Smith in 1893, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. Fatehpur Sikri, the Mughal Emperor Akbar's palace-city complex, was built between 1571 and 1585. The Jodh Bai palace was part of the Haram Sara (Imperial Harem), which comprised a large number of buildings and apartments for the ladies of the court. The palace was the largest of these buildings with a central courtyard and a symmetrical four-iwan plan. This is view of the double-storey pavilion known as the Hawa Mahal, which projects from the north exterior wall of the palace. The first floor columns of the Hawa Mahal are enclosed by pierced stonework, or jali, screens. These let light and air into the pavilion whilst allowing the occupants a view of the surrounding countryside without being seen.