View looking along the cloisters on the south side of the quadrangle of the Jami Masjid, Fatehpur Sikri
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jami Masjid, Fatehpur Sikri, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Edmund William Smith in 1893. The palace-city complex at Fatehpur Sikri was built by the Mughal Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605). The Jami Masjid was completed in 1572 and dedicated to Shaikh Salim Chisti, whose refuge was nearby. The tomb of the saint is situated in the courtyard. This is an interior view looking along the colonnade on the south side of the mosque.