View from the north-east of the guard-house at the entrance to Jodh Bai's Palace, Fatehpur Sikri
Photographer: Smith, Edmund William
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the guardhouse of the Jodh Bai Palace at Fatehpur Sikri, taken by Edmund William Smith in 1893, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. Fatehpur Sikri, the Mughal Emperor Akbar's palace-city complex, was built between 1571 and 1585. The Jodh Bai palace was part of the Haram Sara (Imperial Harem), which comprised a large number of buildings and apartments for the ladies of the court. The palace was the largest of these buildings with a central courtyard and a symmetrical four-iwan plan. The Rajput Guardhouse is situated to the left of the entrance.