View of the garden from the platform of Jahangir's Tomb, with corner minaret in right foreground, Shahdara, Lahore.
Photographer: Cole, Henry Hardy
Medium: Photographic print
This view shows the side elevation and corner of the tomb of the Mughal emperor Jahangir (1605-1627) at Shahdara. Mughal royalty and their courtiers built pleasure gardens and palaces on the right bank of the River Ravi at Shahdara opposite the major city of Lahore. At the outset of the reign of Jahangir's son, Shah Jahan, in 1627 the emphasis changed to funerary architectural projects of which this is one. Set in formal gardens originally built by Jahangir's wife, Nur Jahan, the tomb is faced in red sandstone with marble inlays in floral and geometric designs whilst inside the mausoleum walls are covered in colourful floral murals. The marble cenotaph of Jahangir himself is decorated with inlaid gemstones in floral motifs and calligraphic passages giving the ninety-nine names of Allah.