This photograph of a group of boxed sculptures was taken in 1883 as part of the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, it has been attributed to Henry Hardy Cole, however this is possibly incorrect. A note by Bloch accompanying the photographs states, "Most of the sculptures [in prints 1028-1031] are now in Calcutta. The sculptures are shown at a very much reduced scale." The photograph shows various sculptures from Koi Tangi in the Peshawar district. From the first and second centuries AD onwards, this part of northern Pakistan was famous for it's sculptural traditions. Known as Gandhara, it was ruled by a group of Chinese origin known as the Kushans. They were Buddhists and under their rule, the religion and the arts associated with it were allowed to flourish. The reign of the Kushan king Kanishka, is particularly well known for its artstic achievements and it was during his reign, from 78 AD, that we find the first examples of the Graeco-Roman influenced Gandharan style of sculpture.