Various sculptures from Koi Tangi, Peshawar District, packed in boxes. 10031030
Photographer: Cole, Henry Hardy
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a box of sculptures taken by Henry Hardy Cole in 1883. A note by Bloch on this group of boxed sculptures, states, "Most of the sculptures are now in Calcutta. The sculptures are shown at a very much reduced scale." The photograph shows various sculptures from Koi Tangi in the Peshawar district. From the first and second centuries AD onwards, this part of northern Pakistan was famous for it's sculptural traditions. Known as Gandhara, it was ruled by a dynasty of Chinese origin known as the Kushans. They were Buddhists and under their rule, the religion and the arts associated with it were allowed to flourish. The reign of the Kushan king Kanishka, is particularly well known for its artistic achievements and it was during his reign, from approximately 78 AD onwards, that we find the first examples of the Graeco-Roman influenced Gandharan style of sculpture.