View looking along wall of the outer terrace of the Chaturbhuja Temple, Khajuraho
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Chaturbhuja Temple at Khajuraho, taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1871-72. Khajuraho was the capital of the Chandella dynasty which ruled in central India in the ninth century. Of the numerous temples that were erected at this site only about twenty-five have survived. They represent the culmination of the central Indian style of architecture and the sensuous sculptures that decorate them are among the masterpieces of Indian art. The Chaturbhuja Temple is a fine temple of the Chandella style from the 12th century. The sanctuary and the porch are raised on a terrace and the slender spire has clusters of smaller towers rising towards the amalaka and pot finial. This view shows the outer wall decorated with carved friezes of processions of elephants.